Thursday, September 30, 2010

Conclusion to Fear Experiment 9-30-10

EDIT: I added a link to my hypothesis blog below.

The project I had done for Monday's class was called the Bugaboo chair.

On my hypothesis blog, I predicted that people would be squeamish.

61.111% of the class had a reaction somewhat related to squeamishness, which according to http://thesaurus.com/browse/squeamish, is similar to unsettlement, upset, sickliness, and disgust.

33.333% of the class responded with positive acclaim and praises of ingenuity.

Finally, 1 person had the response "Slip and Slide"...though I couldn't tell if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

According to the results, I believe that the experiment was mostly successful. I believe it was because I had prepared visual aids for the audience and performed an impromptu demonstration using a volunteer. However, if I were to make it better, I could have done the following if I was given much more time:

+Prepared my speech far in advance
+Actually brought more props for physical demonstration purposes.
+Created higher-quality(i.e. color) mockups of the project in question.

I had plenty of other fears to choose from, such as pain, heights, or criticism, but the fear of insects was the only one I could think of that could manifest itself in a physical form.

Not that many people were able to present this week, but out of all the projects that were presented and those that probably scared me the most, it was probably Kyle's psychological experiment in which he told us all to plug our ears and keep our eyes closed. It affected me strongly, because I was scared that Kyle or someone else was gonna touch me randomly. That would have startled me and made me scream. Kyle's was almost the same as my project, except my project didn't involve cutting off hearing with sound blockage of any kind, because sound was an integral part of my project, especially with the buzzing rod speakers. It was the element of surprise and fear of the unknown that could psychologically affect anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment