Monday, November 8, 2010

Response to 11-8-10 Class

Today we had another field trip, this time to Herron. We visited the "Notes to Nonself" installation. There was a roofless wooden shelter into which we could go. Luckily, it was sturdy enough for my weight. I was worried that it would collapse. We saw the forest motif and then noticed a papier-mache octopus in the middle of the installation. We later found out that the installation was about "identity".

The skulls prevalent in the installation symbolized death, and in the case of identity, it could mean death of the self, since "nonself" could mean "being part of the collective" or "assimilation". The octopus could symbolize the inability to blend in with the crowd. It could also symbolize the individual.

I read the pamphlet and it mentioned that this was inspired by Buddhist philosophy. I guess that would explain the "non-self", but after looking up "Buddhism" and "Non-self", I don't think I quite understood the concept as well as I thought I did.

We also discussed "final project" ideas, though we discovered that it wasn't a conventional "final project", since it has the same possible points as a regular blog. I had two ideas: either three ways to help debit/credit card users and/or three inventions to help monitor health. Beth then announced the assignment for this week; it involved identity and who we thought we were. Hopefully, I do a good job on this.

Overall, it was an interesting exhibit and an interesting class.

No comments:

Post a Comment